Today we are launching SwiftKey 4.3 – Layouts for Living – on Google Play and the Amazon Appstore. This exciting new update helps you type quickly and comfortably, no matter what device you’re using or what context you’re typing in.
The new version gives you access to three keyboard layouts, all of which can be resized, and undocked and positioned where you choose on your screen.
- Compact: On many larger phones it can be difficult to enter text and hold the phone with just one hand. This new feature reduces the width of the keyboard and allows for easier typing with one hand or gesture typing using SwiftKey Flow. It also frees up more of the screen estate on tablets. You can switch it from the left or right side of the screen
- Thumb: For those who like typing on tablets in landscape or wide phones, the keyboard can be split into two areas, enabling fast, comfortable typing with both thumbs. Undock it from the base of the screen for even more flexibility
- Full: The traditional full-width keyboard is still available and users with tablets can opt for an extended layout that is similar to the presentation of a physical keyboard. This layout has left and right cursor keys and the backspace is positioned above the enter key, making it easier to type with two hands when not holding your tablet
This update also introduces a Canadian English language model, taking our language list to a total of 61. SwiftKey will now know that users in Canada are more likely to be talking about Stephen Harper than Stephen King, and more likely to be going to Calgary than California.
Our thanks go out to the members of our VIP Community who helped us to test this new version and gave us their feedback on the new features. Stay tuned for more innovation – if you’d like to be a part of beta testing in the future, join our VIP Community and we’ll let you know when there are new and exciting things to try out.
We’re really excited about this latest update and we hope you enjoy it!
The SwiftKey Team
As well as the new layouts, SwiftKey 4.3 also includes:
- Choose from 5 sizes to get your keyboard the perfect size for you
- Undock your keyboard and position it where you choose on your screen
- Rearranged and optimized secondary (123) and tertiary (symbols) layout, based on extensive user testing
- A new theme: previously SwiftKey and SwiftKey Tablet had two different themes called “Dark”. Both are now available on phones and tablets, with the tablet “Dark” renamed as “Forest”
- Extended layout for tablets, including left and right cursor keys
- All 4 cursor keys (up, down, left, right) are now available on the secondary (123) layout on tablets – phone users can still choose to have cursor keys on the main layout
- 10-inch tablets can choose to have a central numpad in the thumb layout in landscape
- Combined phone and tablet app to give a seamless experience across all device sizes
- For more information see our FAQs